Gregory A. Lewis
Gregory A. Lewis is a registered patent attorney with over nine years of patent counseling, prosecution and litigation experience in private practice at Price Heneveld LLP and at his former firm, Jenner & Block LLP. On any given day, Greg is likely working with inventors in preparing U.S. and foreign patent applications, responding to office actions, interviewing patent examiners, and working with foreign patent associates. In sum, Greg aims to serve and advocate on behalf of his clients. Greg also relies on more than eight years of engineering experience in medical device, nuclear reactor and materials engineering at Medtronic, Inc. and Lockheed Martin, Inc. These experiences help him stand in his clients’ shoes as they work to resolve various intellectual property-related issues.
Drawing on his earlier engineering work, Greg’s prosecution practice today is aimed at various technologies, including those driven by materials, mechanical, electrochemical, semiconductor and other electronic device-related technologies. Greg has also worked on various patent litigation matters related to automotive safety devices, vehicle/digital audio file player integration, adaptive cruise control, piston coatings, refrigerator shelf manufacturing, liquid crystal displays, and poultry loading devices. He makes every effort to bring his litigation experience to bear in prosecuting his clients’ inventions and counseling them in their patent-related activities.
Greg is a current member of the Grand Rapids Bar Association, the American Bar Association, and the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA). He also served on the AIPLA’s Patent Litigation Jury Instructions Committee in 2011.
Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2006
Northwestern University, M.S., Materials Science & Engineering, 1995
Northwestern University, B.S., Materials Science & Engineering, 1995
Patent Preparation and Prosecution
Intellectual Property Counseling
Intellectual Property Licensing
International Patent Procurement and Prosecution
State Bar of Michigan, 2012
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2011
State Bar of Illinois, 2006 (inactive)
Federal Circuit, 2011
Northern District of Indiana, 2011
Eastern District of Michigan, 2008
Western District of Michigan, 2007
Northern District of Illinois, 2006
COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES & INTERESTS
- Boy Scouts of America, Cub Scouts Pack 3300 – various supporting activities, 2014-present
- East Grand Rapids, MI, Recreation Department – youth soccer and t-ball coach, 2014-2015
- People v. Swain, No. 150994 (MI S. Ct.) – represented former MI prosecutors pro bono in obtaining pro hac vice admissions for out-of-state attorneys filing amicus brief
- People v. Koh, 09 CR 9151 (Circ. Ct. Cook County, IL) – represented defendant accused of murder in obtaining orders requiring attendance of MI witnesses at trial in Illinois
- Imagination Theater, Inc. (Chicago, Illinois) – resolved copyright & trademark dispute with another theater, 2010-2011
- Lawyers in the Classroom (Chicago, Illinois) – Mozart Elementary School, 2009
- GE Street Law Program (Chicago, Illinois) – developed and taught IP workshop to Whitney Young H.S. students, 2008, 2010
- Vickars Developments Co. Ltd. V. Extreme Technologys Inc., 1:12-cv-00103 (S.D. Miss.) – Represented Vickars in patent infringement action related to grouted helical pile technologies.
- SEL v. Samsung, et al.(W.D. Wisc.) – Enforced SEL’s patents related to LCD technologies.
- ATI v. Delphi Corp., et al. (E.D. Mich.) – Defended Nissan in patent infringement action related to occupant detection systems; obtained favorable summary judgment ruling.
- ATI v. Siemens VDO Corp., et al.(E.D. Mich.) – Defended Nissan against patent infringement action related to side impact sensors; obtained favorable summary judgment ruling.
- Stragent v. Audi AG, et al., 6:10-cv-00227 (E.D. Tex.) – Defended Nissan in patent litigation involving adaptive cruise control technology.
- NISTAC v. Nissan North Am., Inc., et al.(E.D. Mich.) – Defended Nissan in patent action involving piston coatings.
- Gemtron v. Saint Gobain(E.D. Mich.) – Represented Gemtron in patent infringement action related to refrigerator shelves; favorable jury verdict of patent validity and infringement.
- Turkey Scope v. Jennie-O(C.D. Ill.) – Represented Turkey Scope in patent infringement action related to turkey loader devices.